Monday, October 12, 2009

Happy Birthday, Dad

60 Reasons to Celebrate You:

60. You taught me how to drive a stick.

59. You let us get a dog even though you didn't want to.

58. You taught me how to gut a deer.

57. You make oatmeal chocolate chip cookies.

56. You play in the snow with the girls.

55. You like to do jigsaw puzzles.

54. You keep a pristine lawn!

53. You're my gardening idol.

52. Your cars look like they just came off the lot.

51. You drive long distances to see your grandbabies!

50. You're techno savvy enough to figure out Skype.

49. You always had a good supply of Baby Ruth's and Paydays in the woods.

48. You took me to Arby's every Friday of my kindergarten year.

47. You worked tirelessly to provide for us.

46. You make a mean venison jerky.

45. You've suffered through years of the Detroit Lions.

44. You were silly with us as kids--remember sock wars while folding laundry?

43. You taught me how to ride a bike.

42. You replaced my big wheel whenever the wheel went square.

41. You drove me to countless practices and games.

40. You always made my games a priority.

39. You endured the temps of Lake Michigan just to play in the waves.

38. You lugged that army tent back and forth to PJ Hoffmaster so that we could camp.

37. You let me mow the grass even though my lines were crooked.

36. You made the best snow forts.

35. You give the best back scratches.

34. You taught me how to shoot a gun.

33. You never let me win at Chinese Checkers.

32. You let me stay home from church on Super Bowl Sunday.

31. You never spanked me as hard as you spanked Jenny.

30. You never spanked me as often as you spanked Jenny.

29. You never loved Jenny as much as you loved me (j/k, Jen, are you reading this?).

28. You taught us how to work as a team by making us do our fair share around the house.

27. You let me leave my rolled up dollar bill under the table even after I moved out.

26. You took me to my first Lions game and almost beat up the guy who spilled beer on me.

25, You didn't beat me when I broke the baptismal at church.

24. You felt sorry for me when mom let me fall out of the moving car.

23. And when she slapped me across the face with the wooden spoon.

22. And when she made me sit outside in my undies so she could cut my hair.

21. You bought me a Schwinn Predator and hid it down at Grandma's so I'd be surprised.

20. You taught me how to shave.

19. You still let me use your hair clippers every time I'm home.

18. You store my baseball cards and my skis without charging me.

17. You always had Extra in church.

16. You always let us stop at the S. Washington Food Market.

15. You carved the best pumpkins.

14. You love Ella Grace so much.

13. You love Annabelle so much.

12. You love Katie so much.

11. You love my Internet wife.

10. You bring your own coffee when you visit.

9. You taught me how to treat a woman.

8. You've taught me how to 'honor your parents' in the way you've taken care of Grandma.

7. You love my mom!

6. You loved me and Jen unconditionally.

5. You took us to church and taught us to love the Lord.

4. You sacrificed so we could have an education.

3. You taught me what it means to be a man.

2. You taught me what it means to be a husband.

1. You taught me what it means to be a father.

Happy 60th! I love you, Dad!

1 comment:

papa said...

Thank you for all the memories. I love you guys.