Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Resolutions...

So, I'm not one to make resolutions at the start of a new year. The last resolution I made and actually kept was in college. I resolved not to drink carbonated beverages (to clarify for those around the country: pop, soda, or coke =) for a year. I did it, and it changed my life. Just kidding. It really made no lasting impression on me whatsoever.

That brings us to 2009! I'm making a resolution--don't laugh--it's not very ambitious (those who know I am a former English teacher will wince!)! My goal is to read one book each month of this year. I know, I know, 12 books. Not an impressive number...you do have to consider that I am raising 3 small children, running our home, managing my husband's schedule (wink, sweetie), playing around with a small business, proofreading Eric's dissertation (another wink, sweetie), and on and on...

I have a bookshelf full of books that I've been meaning to get to. My aim is to post a "review" of sorts near the end of each month. Not that any of you really care, but it will keep me accountable.

My January book? Don't Waste Your Life by John Piper

By the way of other things I'd like to do this year:
~hear the Holy Spirit (and then obey)
~save a little more money
~lose the last of my baby weight
~which means cooking healthier
~and exercising more
~enjoy a little more this stage of the girl's lives

So...onto the subject of losing weight. Eric brought home a copy of the Weight Watcher's Points yesterday. We counted the number of points we ate yesterday and I've tried to be more conscious about what I'm eating (and drinking) today. I am going to draw the line, though. A few minutes ago, I found myself counting out how many rice cakes I could eat. RICE CAKES! It's not like I was downing a handful of Doritoes (oh, that sounds so good) or French Fries (Mmmmm!)...they were rice cakes...So, I'm making this rule: Rice cakes are 0 points! Really, they can't cost me points--they have the consistency of styrofoam and the taste of cardboard--Really? Points? Not on my plan!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Let me know about Don't Waste Your Life. I've started it now probably 3-4 times and haven't made it very far at all. I still want to read it, but for some reason it was hard to get me started in this one. Currently reading Death by Love by Driscoll. At least I'm into ch 1 on this one as of right now. :)