Thursday, September 11, 2008

Remembering 9/11

Do you remember where you were on this day a few years ago, or was it a lifetime ago? Could you ever forget? I was teaching and it took until second period for me to hear that someone had crashed a plane into one of the WTC towers. So much has changed since then both in the world and in my world.

Ella Grace announced upon coming home from school yesterday that "Today is Wednesday, the 10th of September. And tomorrow is Thursday, September 11!" I looked back at her when she said that date to see if she flinched like I did. Of course, she didn't. It's just another day for her, and I love that it is...for now, just another day for my girls. I love the innocence that is theirs in not knowing.

But because I know...I hug a little tighter today. I'm a little more protective. I look at their sweet blue eyes and I see hope. Not hope in the future or in their accomplishments or in the fact that there may one day be a woman in the oval office. The hope that in the midst of this mess we call life, God is still at work! Yes, He's at work in the world at large and in the country we proudly call ours...but more than that He is at work changing my heart to look more like His, rescuing me from me...

I remember where I was September 11th, 2001. Thankfully, I'm not in the same place.

No comments: